Friday, October 8, 2010

Please Hire Me!

Back in the late 90's, I volunteered at a hospital near the university I attended in the Cardiovascular Recovery Unit.  I was responsible for directing families to the correct rooms or to the nurses station (if their family member had passed away).  I remember being trained on "the black line."  If the patient was black lined, they had passed and I was not to tell the family members or friends...I just had to direct them to the nurses station. 

I have been thinking that I needed to get back into the health care environment...get back with patients, their families, medical personnel, etc...
So, I excitedly called my local hospital today to find out about any super part-time (6 hours or so) jobs that they have available and they recommended I talk to volunteer services.  Being in school, with a toddler and a husband that works 60 hours a week doesn't leave too much time to work, but I am hoping to find something that is only Saturday or Sunday evenings...maybe from 12 to 6 or 8 or something like that.  She said that the interview process for volunteering takes about 5 weeks with orientation and background screenings and such.  That would put me starting around Thanksgiving...fingers crossed.  I am really willing to do anything.  Have me clean out bed pans!  I am fine with that.  I would just be so excited to even observe the units and the nurse/doctor/patient interaction and it would be great training and insight for clinicals.  I have heard a lot of great things about the hospital and it is close to my house.  I am hoping it all works out. It would be nice to learn and become familiar with the hospital.  I would think it would be nice that I already have some hands-on experience and familiarity with the facility.  It would be great experience and I really hope it works out.  I will keep you all posted.

No comments: