Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sharklet - Does this stuff really work?

Sharklet
I just saw this product talked about on Sunday Morning on CBS and I had never heard of it before.  It claims amazing things about resisting bacteria growth simply because of the raised design on the plastic product.  Apparently, the bacteria do not like to grow on the bumpy texture.  It was designed after studying  the skin surface of sharks under the electron microscope.  Shark skin is resistant to the growth of organisms and researchers found it is because of a special pattern of bumps and grooves that resists the growth.

They are saying that it could help the healthcare industry fight things like MRSA.  I found it really interesting and timely because of my microbiology class.  I even put this topic on our discussion board to see if anyone else had heard of it and to find out what my professor thinks.

Have any of you heard of this?  Do you think it really works??

The product claims:
Sharklet SafeTouch for Healthcare enhances infection control by reducing bacteria on high-touch surfaces by 80%. Place Sharklet’s hygienic surface on hotspots to reduce dangerous pathogens.

Some examples of places to put this product is on nurse call buttons, bedside trays, patient ID bracelets, catheter tubing, doors, and bed rails.  Will the hospitals of the future be covered with Sharklet? 


If it works, it sounds like something that should be implemented.  Their website claims that to "Sharklet" a patients room would cost $1 per day.  If I was a patient, I would personally fork up $1 to know that 80% less bacteria are going to colonize my hospital room.

No comments: