Thursday, November 11, 2010

Doing what you love

I have always heard that the people that are happiest in their lives are the people that are fortunate enough to find a career that they love.  These people are the ones that say that for them, their work is not a job.  They say that they love to do it and it doesn't feel like work.  Yeah, right...Right???

Well, I have to admit, though I am not working as a nurse, I love to read every little thing I can about the subject of nursing.  I hope this is a good sign.  I have to write a final paper about the nursing profession for my technical writing class and the requirement is 5 sources.  I went to online to search the library and request some books and found 16 books that I wanted to read.  Not all of them are for the class, but there is a book about ER nursing...where I am going to be volunteering soon!!!!!!!!!!!!  so, I had to get that one...then there is a book about nursing today during budget cuts and nursing shortages and higher patient to nurse ratios....so, I had to get that one too.  Then there was a book about nursing care plans and one about nursing resumes....and on and on.  There was another about the first year of nursing, too....so I requested that one too.

I am happy to say that it looks like I will be volunteering at my local hospital in the ER department!  I am really interested in the ER, so I am excited to be in there to see if it could possibly be where I want to work once I graduate.  I will be working there on Saturday evenings!  Right now, I am taking TB tests and immunization screenings to make sure that I am up to date on all my shots in order to work there.  This coming Tuesday is an orientation.  They have to do a criminal background check and then check my references....when all comes back good, I will be cleared to start!  It looks like I should be able to start around the beginning of December :)  

Can you tell I am just a little bit excited?

No comments: