Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Healer - Carol Cassella

 I have been reading a lot of non-fiction these days (a day in the life of...types of books about nurses and doctors).  I have a few in my sidebar that I recommend that I picked up at the library. 

I just finished Healer by Carol Cassella.  Great book!  I couldn't put it down.  This one is fiction.  The author is an MD and while enjoying a good book, you can pick up some medical terminology.  The main character and her family are ripped from their upper class comfortable lifestyle by financial troubles.  The main character, Claire, a non-board certified MD, returns to practicing medicine in a small town to help the family make ends meet.  It gives a great look into mission type medicine...working for the love of healing, not for a paycheck or prestige.

This same author has written Oxygen that I am going to pick up next.  These books are a huge distraction from my studying, and I should have the self control to JUST SAY NO!, but I love novels and at least when the subject matter is focused on medicine and health care, I feel/know I am learning something while relaxing. 

No comments: