Saturday, September 11, 2010

it still makes me sad...


This is the 9/11 Teardrop Memorial by Zurab Tsereteli and it is in Bayonne, NJ facing New York Harbor and the site of the Twin Towers. It was dedicated in 2006 and was a gift from the Russian people. I don't know if it is because I don't watch enough TV or if this was simply not covered by the news media, but I had never seen or heard about this memorial before today. Either way, it is a breath-taking sculpture that speaks so much to the emotions of the American people.

I will never forget 9/11/01. I don't know anyone that died that day, but listening to the stories of others, I can feel their loss and can easily tear up. I sometimes wonder how this emotional connection I can make with people is going to affect my nursing. I worry that I am going to become too emotionally involved with patients and their families and be crying all the time. I know that there are many areas of nursing that are less emotionally trying, but then I wonder if the empathy is a good thing and will be appreciated by the patients and their families.

Life is so short, but the days can be so long-especially if you are sick or missing someone you have lost. Hug your family and friends today and everyday and keep loving each other.

No comments: