Tuesday, September 14, 2010

National Nursing News | A New Era in Nursing: Community Health and Aging Population Shift RN Employment

National Nursing News | A New Era in Nursing: Community Health and Aging Population Shift RN Employment

I am really excited about the future of nursing and everything that I read reinforces where I think I should be heading in nursing. I visited my great uncle a few weeks ago...need to go again!!...and I loved it. He loved my visit and I loved being there. Maybe geriatrics is my calling because I really feel like the elderly in our society are pushed aside a lot and are just closed up in these nursing homes to wait for death, and I try to see them not as aged and decrepit and needy. Instead, I love to learn about their lives, their loves, their dreams and their wishes for their lives and I love to hear the wisdom that they hold in their hearts and the advice they are just dying to give. Yes, some are grumpy. But wouldn't you be if you were locked up in a nursing home. You remember the freedom you used to have and now it is all gone. You have lost the feeling that you have anything to contribute to this world. Who knows in what direction I will go...but this article does state that it is very important for nursing students and young graduates to become experts in geriatric care. It is complicated and it is growing as the population ages.

No comments: