Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Test number one...in the grade books


Today, I had my first Anatomy test of the semester for my Anatomy class....and I got an A!
I am taking Anatomy and Physiology 102 which is the last 600 pages of my anatomy text or the last 15 chapters.

I am so happy. I don't know how everyone else is as a test taker, but the minute I open my test, my heart starts racing and I draw a total blank...like the words on the exam are in a different language or something. One weird thing that I have always done on tests and it seems to help me is that I always start at the end and work backwards. That way, when I get to the top, I am done with the test and then I work down and review everything before I turn it in. Also, I think it gives me some confidence, because I am on question 50 instead of question number 1. (personal mind games!) I spend about the first 5 minutes looking over the test and I always determine I know nothing and that I am going to fail. I then regain my composure and get down to business. I skip questions that make no sense and move on. Normally, the 2nd or 3rd time I read it, the answer becomes obvious, so the 1st time I look at the test, I just skip around a lot and try and get the easiest stuff done and out of the way.

An example of one of the questions is:

Which of the following arteries branches to form the common hepatic artery, left gastric artery and the splenic arter? Answer: Celiac trunk

I am so relieved...my midterm is October 20th. It will cover 8 chapters: Endocrine System, Blood, Cardiovascular System (Heart and Blood Vessels), Lymphatic System, Respiratory System and the Digestive System. I honestly have not been studying as much as I should be. I have been so distracted by my son lately, the last few warm days of the year (ok, so we have a few weeks), mulching my yard...basically, I have not been wanting to study. I know the midterm will show no mercy, so I will have to begin...tomorrow.

No comments: