Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Juggling Act


Sometimes I feel like I am the grand ringmaster for the traveling circus. I know that there are a lot of people that feel this way and this blog post is to let you know that you are not alone. Everyday, I feel like there is more that I need to accomplish than is physically possible to do. Yet, everyday, I wake with the goal of actually accomplishing...well, most of it. Today was actually a good day and I got my list of school assignments done. Two papers, two discussion board posts and read the rest of a chapter in Anatomy I needed to catch up on. But, it isn't just school. Then there is the housework, the groceries, the quality time with the kids, the attempt at a conversation with your spouse that is about something other than daily tasks...I still try to be philosophical. Then there are your friends and relatives...when are we supposed to fit them in? Thank goodness I don't have a pet...poor thing would never get walked or have a clean litter box. Then there is church...I need to get involved in a church. Oh, and I need to exercise. Yes, definitely exercise. Oh and don't forget there are less than 85 shopping days until Christmas.

Breath in. Breath out.

Something has to give. Though with my personality, I still try to do it all and am successful to some degree. Prioritizing is key. In the evening before I go to bed, I plan out the absolute must do's for the next day and try with all my might to get those done. I try to do fun or less stressful tasks when I am most tired at the end of my day or with my 2 year old at my side and the worst, most dreaded and difficult tasks in the morning. If by lunch, I have the dreaded put to rest, I am much more confident about the rest of my day. I have heard that nursing is a juggling act. Patient needs, reports to write, patient needs, labs to send, patient needs, learning new procedures, patient needs...and on and on. Sounds like my cup of tea. I actually thrive with a full plate and stressful deadlines. It makes the day go faster and you have a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. One day, I will wake up, my son will be grown and they will be asking me to retire already. Retire? If I retire, what will I do all day?

No comments: