Monday, August 30, 2010

Motivation...where does it come from

There are so many days, nights, weekends....ok...a lot of times that there are so many other things that I would rather be doing than studying. I love to cook and could spend hours reading cookbooks and dreaming about new dishes to make. I love to come up with great tasting dishes with all the left over greens and other veggies and stuff in my pantry. I also love to play with my kid and hate it when I am studying and I get annoyed by him because I know he just wants some attention and a playmate. Studying, for me, a lot of times is deadline motivated only. What works for me is this...

On Sundays, I make a plan for the week of all the chapters I have to read, quizzes I need to take, exams I need to study for etc...and it looks a bit like this:

Note: This is not a to-do list. Those have never worked for me...I have to have dates and deadlines or it is too overwhelming and seemingly unachievable at first glance.

Monday:
Read Chapter 16 Anatomy
Quiz Communications

Tuesday:
Do practice quizzes Ch 16 Anatomy
Discussion Board English
Start paper Comm

etc etc etc

and then I celebrate when I get to cross things off and as long as it isn't a due date I have missed, I have no problem moving things to the next day. It keeps me focused and goal oriented and not overwhelmed. Also, I make mini goals as I am working through a chapter, too. If there are 5 sections in a chapter, I make a goal to get 2 sections done by lunch, for example and really strive to meet my mini goals so the big goals are easier to meet. I guess, now that I think about it, I do this in other parts of my life too. I never want to spend hours in the bathroom cleaning, so I make mini tasks and make a goal to just clean the sink today, toilet tomorrow, floor the next day and so on and things stay in order in other areas of my life too. I usually do not write those down, though. They are more goals that I set in my head. Hope that helps!

No comments: